8/3/08

What does it feel like to have your jaw wired shut?

My jaw is wired in a somewhat relaxed position, not completely closed, which is infinitely more comfortable than having your jaw clamped tight.  I can sneeze fairly comfortably, I can even yawn (or half-yawn).  I am finding coughing the most difficult and uncomfortable action.  I never realized how important it is to be able to open my jaw to cough or clear my throat.  I am having a very minor discomfort in my right TMJ today.

Overall, I am extremely glad I went through with this - of course, this is only the fourth day.  But right now I know that if I took the wires off I'd be diving head-first into a giant blueberry muffin.  It really is the answer for me - I no longer have the agonizing choice of whether to binge or not because that choice has been taken away and is no longer my painful burden.  

The procedure itself took a total of about one hour in Dr. Ted's chair.  He is very friendly and helpful and he made sure my husband and I knew how to unwire and rewire.  

But is it comfortable?  Not exactly... but it isn't unbearable, and I'm able to speak and be understood.  I definitely miss brushing my teeth and tongue properly.   You can't really see the brackets unless I smile big (see picture).  I confess, by the end of the second day I was already thinking about revising my commitment to the duration of my jaw wiring.  I originally said I would commit 6 months to it, but I think I might not be able to deal with it quite that long.  But, as Dr. Ted said, the first week is the hardest.  I am going to take it one day at a time and focus on my goals: to break my addictions and to lose some weight.

No comments: