8/21/08

177.5 and holding...

I am still unwired, thanks to my head cold (which thankfully is finally going away), my chronic shingles problem (for which I finally got a liquid anti-viral med. for) and lastly, a bladder infection that popped up a couple days ago.  Yes, I am falling apart.  I of course have to wonder if all these ailments are somehow linked to my high-fat/low carb diet.  But no, I don't think so.  The cold was inevitable because I catch whatever illness my daughter has without exception; the shingles is inevitable thanks to my development of it in 2005 - I have had to take Valtrex on a weekly basis ever since then to keep it at bay; and it seems to me it borders on impossible to get a bladder infection from one's diet.  SO, I persevere in the name of low carbs!

I have officially been unwired longer than I was wired, and I won't be able to get the wires back on until I am done with the antibiotics for my bladder infection.  I'm planning to have them replaced on Monday the 25th.  I can tell you, my resolve is beginning to slide.  I have weighed the same for almost a week, and that bums me out enough to contemplate a naughty snack more and more often.  Apparently in my fuzzy little addicted brain, weight loss equals focused determination, and failure equals giving in to the demons!  But I'm okay so far - hanging on by a few thin threads.  I'm going to fast today so I can see the number change on the scale - hopefully that will steel my resolve once again.

I have done well on my diet, though once I did have a couple deep fried chicken tenders (the breading is the evil part for me), and another time I had 2 servings of ice cream instead of the one serving I budgeted for.  Overall, I feel pretty successful, considering I have not touched a single cookie, cracker, pretzel, donut, or piece of bread.  Those are the things I know would put me over the edge and lead me to an all-out binge, face-down in a box of Krispy Kremes.

So, yes, I am still quite happy I got my jaw wired.  I wouldn't be where I am today without it, and I look forward to further success once I get re-wired: success in weight loss, and more importantly, success in vanquishing the binge-eating demons!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My name is Laura Clos and i would like to show you my personal experience with Valtrex.

I am 29 years old. Have been on Valtrex for 12 months now. Just wanted to get the word out there that there are some kind of weird and scary side effects that might make it not worth taking the drug.

I have experienced some of these side effects -
I have had a few really vivid nightmares once in a while since I started taking this medication. The reason I'm posting this is that I had one last night & I can't even explain how real it felt. I forced myself with all of my strength to wake up & once I did I felt completely disoriented, lightheaded, and confused. I was terrified to go back to sleep. Some hair loss as well. Some depression and mental fogginess. And some increase in IBS symptoms. Really though the occasional extremely intense nightmare is the worst side effect.

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Laura Clos