8/10/08

Uncomfortable brackets

I had to remove the wires on Saturday because I needed to take a medication that I wasn't able to crush and I don't have the liquid version of.  These pills are for a chronic condition I have, but since I hadn't needed them in a while, I guess I got cocky and didn't bother to have my doctor prescribe LIQUID medicine, knowing there was a chance I'd need it while my jaw was wired... bad idea.  Predictably, my illness popped up late Friday afternoon, when the doctor's office is closed for the weekend.  Whatever.  I can only be mad at myself... that was totally dumb on my part not to be completely prepared.  If you read this and think you might get your jaw wired someday, learn from my stupidity and get all the medications you rely on in a drinkable form before you proceed.

I'm not too upset.  It's nice to be able to brush my teeth and talk normally.  I tried to eat some scrambled eggs and it's pretty hard to eat with these brackets on, so I think I'll just stick with the liquid diet I've been on.  I've lost 6 pounds in 9 days, so I'm pretty happy and don't want to mess that up.  

One thing - these brackets are freakin' uncomfortable!  They were a little annoying a few days ago - one part of my cheek kept getting caught on a bracket, and you know how that sort of thing goes: once you bite the inside of your cheek, you KEEP doing it because it's swollen.  But with no limitation to my jaw movement, the rest of the brackets are really scoring the inside of my mouth -I guess now that I can talk normally, the scraping is much more noticeable.  I have resorted to molding a piece of gum over those brackets - instant relief!  But it doesn't last.  I have to keep remolding it on there.  Another lesson: have dental wax on hand... Interestingly, this is all happening on only one side, the other side feels fine.

So... I'm still happy I did this, and am not having any problems with the diet except boredom and mild heartburn a couple times.  I've heard a high-fat diet can cause heartburn, but I figured I would be writhing on the floor with the pain of it, considering all the fat I'm ingesting in LIQUID FORM.  But nope.  Just a couple times, and I simply eliminated the possible culprits from my diet until I have the wires off - 85% cocoa and more than 4 ounces of coconut milk at a time.

What I'm not looking forward to is finding out how much my husband is NOT cut out to be an orthodontist - he's the one that has to rewire me.  Dr. Ted made it look totally easy, but he's done it a few thousand times.  Oh well.  I'd rather have my hubby at least try it before we throw in the towel and have to drive back to Dr. Ted's.

No comments: