8/7/08

Here's what I'm eating...

Today is the start of my second week with my jaw wired.  I've gotten quite used to it, and I am adequately comfortable.  Sometimes the brackets feel a little rough on the inside of my mouth, but I guess I could get some wax to put over them if it gets too annoying... I wonder where to get that kind of wax?

I've lost 5 pounds so far.  Of course I'm doing this for weight loss, but my main goal is to try to get over my food addiction - if I can conquer that, I'll be thrilled.  Sometimes it's hard to see food commercials or to watch my husband eat a succulent meal, while I'm only able to sip a thin liquid through my teeth, but I am prepared for that discomfort.  I mean, I've been eating whatever I wanted pretty much all my life - surely I can handle a few months without!

My other strategy (besides having my jaw wired shut) is that I am doing this without starving myself.  Dr. Ted recommended a 1000 calorie a day diet, but I know from past experience as well as from ample weight loss statistics that going too low on calories only produces a major weight rebound when you start to eat real food again.  My plan is to eat (or drink) approximately 1600 calories a day and keep the carbohydrates LOW.  Not on any day since I started this have I gone over 50 grams of carbs in one day, but I've never gone below 1500 calories - so where are my calories coming from?

FAT.  That's right.  And the more saturated the better.  Here are the stats on my diet...

Daily Macronutrient Averages:
 - FAT: 130 grams (81 grams of it saturated fat)    72% FAT 
 - PROTEIN: 65 grams 16.5% PROTEIN
 - CARBOHYDRATE: 45 grams 11.5% CARB

CALORIES: 1595 per day (average)

I am drinking heavy cream and coconut milk with protein powder mixed in, as well as beef broth with added butter, homemade tomato soup with added cream, butter and spices.  I even budgeted for a half-cup of ice cream every other day.  Oh, and I blend 2 egg yolks into my shakes every day for the extra nutrients.  No, this isn't the easiest thing to stick to, but thankfully I was never a fan of soda or juice, so I didn't have to work hard against an inclination to just turn to those items, which would take much less time to crack open and pour than it does to prepare a shake or strain liquified canned tomatoes through a strainer.

Why oh why would someone try to kill themselves with all that fat??  

Because I believe that fat is my body's preferred energy source - not carbohydrates.  It may not be true for some people, but I'm willing to bet this works for me.  I've always felt out of control around carbohydrates - the more I ate, the more I'd want.  I could be stuffed to the point of nausea and I'd still feel compelled to shovel more carbs in my mouth.  It was a never-ending cycle and I never felt satisfied.  However, after one week of eating high fat/ low carb I feel pretty darn good.  (I know I'm not over my addiction yet, though, because my baby's Goldfish Pretzels still do taunt me so - thank goodness for these wires!)  The true test will come when I am able to eat real food.  If I stick to this eating plan (high fat/low carb) and am able to maintain my weight loss (or even keep losing!) once I start eating actual food again, I'll have proved that fat is not the enemy after all.

So do you want to learn more about this way of eating?  That's what a lot of those links are for on the right side of this page - just go into the article about the Homo Optimus diet and read up on it.  And maybe visit the blog called "Hyperlipid" - that is some high-tech writing that I find fascinating (though sometimes a bit too high-tech for me).

I know you're scared, but it's okay.  It's only fat. 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hows the liquid diet going, I trying it cold turkey, no wires, just working on willpower, drinking liquid protein meal replacements. Have you read MY BIG FAT GREEK DIET? Good Book, really gives insight to life on a liquid diet. Good Luck!

Christie said...

Thanks for your comment, Stephan.

I am getting really tired of most of my food choices, but the good news is, I feel like I will be much more in control of my eating when the wires are off. My cravings have been for REAL FOOD, instead of the wheaty/sugary crap I've been a slave to for years.

I am scheduled for a surgical procedure (breast reduction) in a week and I wanted to be able to eat normally for a week leading up to it, and then following the surgery I will not be able to have the wires on since I will be taking oral meds and may have some nausea right after recovery. Therefore, I'm not sure how long the wires will be off, but I'm thinking about 3 weeks all together.

And I'm not worried about it! I actually feel stronger than I have for a long time with regard to my food issues. I hope and pray that this is the beginning of the end to my addiction.

So why are you doing a liquid diet? Have you read any of the links I posted along the side of my blog that help explain why I chose to go high fat/low carb? What are your macronutrient ratios on your liquid diet?